The following is a list of some of the books, periodicals, blogs, films, organizations, and websites we have found helpful or inspirational when it comes to understanding an environment like Fairlee Forest. Please use our Facebook page to add your own favorites to the list.
- USDA Forest Service www.fs.fed.us
State Agencies and Organizations:
- Vermont Agency of Natural Resources. www.anr.state.vt.us
- Vermont Department of Forests, Parks and Recreation. www.fpr.vermont.gov
- Vermont Fish and Wildlife Department. www.vtfishandwildlife.com
- Dept. of Environmental Conservation www.anr.state.vt.us/dec/dec.htm
Watershed Management Div. www.watershedmanagement.vt.gov
- VT Biofinder (map & database of critical wildlife habitats) www.biofinder.vt.gov
- Vermont Natural Resources Council www.vnrc.org
Local and Regional Agencies:
- Friends of Fairlee Forest (FFF). fairleeforest.org
- Town of Fairlee, VT and Fairlee Forest Board. www.fairleevt.org
- Two Rivers-Ottauquechee Regional Commission. www.trorc.org
- The Vermont Statutes Online, Title 24: Municipal and County Government; Chapter 118: Conservation Commissions: www.leg.state.vt.us/statutes/fullchapter.cfm?Title=24&Chapter=118
- Orford Conservation Commission, orfordnh.us
- Bradford Conservation Commission, www.bradfordconservation.org
- West Fairlee Conservation Commission, www.westfairleevt.com
- Thetford Conservation Commission, www.thetfordvermont.us/departments/conservation-commission
- Note: Fairlee has no CC at this time.
Other State and Regional Organizations concerned with forests, conservation, education:
- Upper Valley Land Trust (UVLT). www.uvlt.org
- Vermont Land Trust (VLT). www.vlt.org
- Vermont Center for Ecostudies (VCE). www.vtecostudies.org
- Vermont Audubon. vt.audubon.org
- Vermont Institute of Natural Science (VINS). www.vinsweb.org
- Hulbert Outdoor Center. www.alohafoundation.org/hulbert
Recreation, Trails and Forest Roads:
- Lake Fairlee Association (LFA). blog.lakefairlee.org
- Lake Morey Foundation (LMF). www.lakemorey.org
- Lake Morey Protective Association (LMPA). www.lakemorey.org
- Rivendell Trails Association (RTA). www.crossrivendelltrail.org
- Upper Valley Trails Alliance (UVTA). www.uvtrails.org
- Vermont All-Terrain Vehicle Sportsman’s Assoc. (VASA). www.vtvasa.org
- Vermont Association of Snow Travelers (VAST). www.vtvast.org
- Vermont Trails and Greenways Council, vermonttrailsandgreenways.org
Publications and Websites
- Audubon Vermont Fact Sheet: The Birder's Dozen.
- Bernd, H. (2003). Winter World: the Ingenuity of Animal Survival, New York: Harper Collins.
- Bernd, H. (2007). Mind of the Raven: Investigations and Adventures With Wolf-Birds, New York: Harper Perennial.
- Holland, M. (2010) Naturally Curious: A Photographic Field Guide and Month-By-Month Journey through the Fields, Woods, and Marshes of New England. London: Trafalgar Square Publishing.
See also Mary Holland’s blog: www.naturallycuriouswithmaryholland.wordpress.com
- Upper Valley Birders Listserv: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vermont Fish and Wildlife Fact Sheets:
- The Vermont Reptile and Amphibian Atlas Project, The Vermont Reptile and Amphibian Atlas, Salisbury, VT.
- Engstrom, Brett (2013) Brushwood South Wetlands — Summary Description Marshfield, VT.
- Thompson, E.H. & Sorenson, E.R. (2000, 2005) Wetland, Woodland, Wildland: A Guide to the Natural Communities of Vermont. Hanover, NH: UPNE.
- “Vermont Wetland Rules,” Water Resources Board, 2001 (now under Watershed Management Div. of Dept. of Conservation, VT Agency of Natural Resources).
- Acceptable Management Practices for Maintaining Water Quality on Logging Jobs in Vermont,” (1987/2006) VT Dept of Forests, Parks, and Recreation.
- Departments of Environmental Conservation, and Fish and Wildlife, and Forests Parks and Recreation,of the Vermont Agency of Natural Resources, and The Nature Conservancy of Vermont (1998, 2003) Vermont Invasive Exotic Plant Fact Sheet Series.
- Diamond, A. Invasive Insects: Achilles heels of the northern forest. Published by the Vermont Land Trust.
- Emeraldashborer.info Emerald Ash Borer .
- Invasivespeciesinfo.gov Hemlock Woolly Adelgid .
- Vermont Department of Forests, Parks, and Recreation. (2011). Terrestrial Invasive Plants in Vermont Woodlands (Best Management Practices for the Prevention and Treatment of).
- VermontInvasives.org - website with information on both plants and insect pests in Vermont. Events, citizen science, journal articles and much information. www.vtinvasives.org
Forest Ecology and Stewardship
- Audubon Vermont (2012). Managing Your Woods With Birds in Mind: A Vermont Landowner’s Guide. Huntington, Vermont: Audubon Vermont & Vermont Department of Forests, Parks, and Recreation.
- Beattie, M., Thompson, C. & Levine, L. (1983, 1993). Working With Your Woodland: A Landowner’s Guide., Hanover, NH: University Press of New England.
- Forest Management Plan for Land Belonging to the Fairlee Town Forest. Redstart Forestry Consultants, Corinth, VT (2014).
- Guide to Managing your Woodlands - from the Vermont Department of Forests, Parks and Recreation.
- Hagenbuch, S. (2014). Forest Bird Habitat Assessment, Fairlee Town Forest. Huntington, VT: Vermont Audubon.
- Long, S. et al. (2012). More than a Woodlot: Getting the Most From Your Family Forest. Corinth, VT: Northern Woodlands.
- Natural Resource, Agriculture, and Engineering Service (2006). Forest Resource Management: A Landowners Guide to Getting Started. Ithaca, NY: Natural Resource, Agriculture, and Engineering Service.
- Northern Forest Alliance (2009). The Vermont Town Forest Stewardship Guide: A Community Users’ Manual for Town Forests, Stowe, VT: Northern Forest Alliance.
- Northern Woodlands. (2008). The Place You Call Home: A Guide to Caring for Your Land in Vermont. Corinth, Vermont: Northern Woodlands.
- Northern Woodlands Magazine. Dedicated to advancing a culture of forest stewardship in the Northeast and to increase understanding of and appreciation for the natural wonders, economic productivity and ecological integrity of the region’s forests. www.northerwoodlands.org.
- Siegel, W.C., Haney, H.L., & Greene, J.L. (2009) Estate Planning for Forest Landowners: What Will Become of Your Timberland? Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service.
- Silviculture with Birds in Mind: Options for Integrating Timber and Songbird Habitat Management in Northern Hardwood Stands in Vermont - from Audubon Vermont.
- Thompson, E. H., and E. R. Sorenson (2000, 2005). Wetland, Woodland, Wildland: A Guide to the Natural Communities of Vermont. The Nature Conservancy and Vermont Department of Fish and Wildlife Distributed by University Press of New England, Hanover, NH.
- USDA Forest Service booklets:
Open Space Conservation Strategy, (2007).
Private Forests, Public Benefits, (2009).
- Vermont Coverts, “Woodlands for Wildlife.” Booklet distributed by Vermont Coverts, an organization dedicated to educating landowners in sound forest management practices and the principles of stewardship for the enhancement of wildlife. www.vtcoverts.org.
- Wessels, T. (1997). Reading the Forested Landscape: A Natural History of New England. Woodstock, Vermont: Countryman Press.
- Wessels, T. (2010). Forest Forensics: A Field Guide to Reading the Forested Landscape. Woodstock, Vermont: Countryman Press.
Culture and History
- Abenaki in Vermont: A Living Culture Video
- Barrett, F.J. & Larrabee, J.B. (2011). Celebrating Fairlee: 250 Years, Fairlee, Vermont: Fairlee Historical Society.
- Bennington County Conservation District: History of logging in Vermont.
- Haviland, W.A. & Power, M.W. (1994). The Original Vermonters: Native Inhabitants, Past and Present. Hanover, NH: University Press of New England (UPNE).
- Miller, S., (1976). Recollections of Milldale Farm, West Fairlee, Vermont. Ed. David Donath. Hanover, NH: UPNE (UVP) out of print.
- Robinson, P. (1957). The Town under the cliff; a history of Fairlee Vermont. Fairlee, VT.
See also Fairlee Public Library and Fairlee Historical Society collections.
- Bazilchuk, N. (1999) A Natural History of Vermont - chapter from The Longstreet Highroad Guide to the Vermont Mountains, Longstreet Press.
- Vermont Geological Survey
- vtgeol.geosprocket.com - An interactive map / exploration tool for Vermont's bedrock geology, surficial geology and soil types
Classics for Naturalists
- Leopold, A. (1949, 1989). A Sand County Almanac. New York: Ballantine Books.
- Muir, J. (1992). The Eight Wilderness Discovery Books, Seattle: Mountaineer Books.
- Wilderness: America’s Living Heritage, Ed. David Brower. (1961) San Francisco: Sierra Club.
- Nash, R. (1967). Wilderness and the American Mind. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- In Wildness is the Preservation of the World. Ed. Eliot Porter (1962). San Francisco: Sierra Club.
Citizen Science Projects
- e-Butterfly. www.e-butterfly.org.
- iNaturalist Vermont. www.inaturalist.org/projects/vermont-atlas-of-life
- LoonWatch. www.vtecostudies.org/projects/lakes-ponds/common-loon-conservation/loonwatch
- Mountain Birdwatch. www.vtecostudies.org/projects/mountains/mountain-birdwatch
- National Park Service Landbird Monitoring. www.vtecostudies.org/projects/forests/national-park-landbird-monitoring
- Rusty Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz. www.vtecostudies.org/projects/forests/rusty-blackbird-conservation
- Vermont Breeding Bird Survey. www.vtecostudies.org/projects/forests/vermont-breeding-bird-survey
- Vermont eBird. www.ebird.org/content/vt/
- Vermont Forest Bird Monitoring. www.vtecostudies.org/projects/forests/vermont-forest-bird-monitoring-program
- Vermont Loon Conservation Project. www.vtecostudies.org/projects/lakes-ponds/common-loon-conservation/vermont-loon-conservation-project
- Vermont Vernal Pool Mapping Project. vtecostudies.org/projects/forests/vernal-pool-conservation/vermont-vernal-pool-mapping-project
| || || || ||                   |